Sunday 8 July 2012

Sunset Across the Niger (About)

So I just realised, I attempted to write a book once. I was 17, my creative juices were literally all over the place. I was bored and had just 3 close friends. I remember the constraints of my youth. The inability to sneak out like most of my very (and I mean VERY) liberal friends. Some didn't even have to sneak out, their parents were just 'cool'. I don't regret it though. It challenged me to write. Somehow, I found writing serving as an avenue to escape into my own world. A world where I am Queen and what I say goes. I can alter the weather, determine the state of the economy. I am the puppeteer and each character I control with my strings. I play the drums and decide the beat they dance to and when the beat changes. So with major influence from reading Things Fall Apart by Chinua Achebe, I decided to write. Sunset Across The Niger was the title I chose for the 'book'. I've never finished it. In fact, I've only discovered that I somehow over the course of 2 years managed to write nine chapters, but hey I am now done with my degree and have an entire summer to blow before commencing my postgraduate so I guess I can be a bit more constructive this summer and continue the book. For now I have decided to post the already written Nine chapters on my blog. Forgive any grammatical errors or typographical errors. I was young and I think I'll cherish it more with them... Next Post, Chapter 1 Adios <3

No comments:

Post a Comment