Sunday 8 July 2012

Sunset Across The Niger (Chapter 9)

The journey lasted only 2 hours and before he knew it, Chidi was in the motor park with Brother John. As they walked past the crowded motor park, John explained how life was in Onitsha. He warned Chidi to always be careful with whom he spoke to and what he did with people as everyone only cared about personal benefit. “There is no friendship in Business” John said to him. As they approached the parked cars, Chidi noticed a slim, dark skinned beautiful woman run to John, he realised that this was John’s so much talked about girlfriend. “This is my brother I told you about Chidi” John said as the lady smiled at him. She was beautiful. “Chidi this is my wife to be Nonye” Nonye extended her hand to shake a very nervous Chidi. “My boy come here. Welcome to Onitsha!” Chidi thought to himself that this was a very nice woman. “Chidi you will go with Nonye eh I need to just rush to the shop for to check the books. I will see you later. As they got to the house, Chidi looked round his new home. “My friend! What are you looking at?” Nonye’s voice sounded harsh. This wasn’t the voice of the beautiful lady he had met at the motor park. “Bring your bags in quickly! You will sleep in that room over there and you must never eat in the sitting room. You eat in the kitchen are you hearing? Good. Also you will use this stainless steel plate and cup for your meals and never my breakable plates! If you can abide to these rules I might just be able to tolerate you around here.” With this she went into the living room and stretched her legs. Chidi went to his newly ‘assigned’ room. There was a mat that he was to roll up after using it to sleep at night. The room also had a ceiling fan, which looked like it needed a really good clean. There was also a cupboard that could just about contain Chidi’s clothes and body cream also his toothbrush. He was happy about the bathroom that was in his room although; at least he would not have to disturb Nonye if he ever needed to take a bath. After sleeping for about 4 hours, Chidi came out of his room. “Good evening Nonye I just woke up, can I please get something to eat?” Nonye gestured her hand to him towards the kitchen. He decided that he would stay out of her way as much as possible. He saw the plate of beans and plantain that awaited him in his plate. He filled his cup with some cold water and took his meal to his room. He would only be able to eat in there or in the kitchen. In his room, he opened the windows and switched the off the ceiling fan, He then rolled up his mat and sat on the floor and ate his meal. As he ate he thought about Amara and how he wished he had hugged her longer in the park before leaving; at least he saw her before leaving. After eating, he put on a pair of slippers and decided to explore the area, there was no way he was staying in with Nonye. He quickly rinsed out his plate and cup in the bathroom and kept them near his mat. He then combed out his hair and went to the sitting room; “Nonye I am going out to see what our area is like.” She turned towards him “At this time? Anyway, your brother would soon be back, just be careful oh! Be back on time” Chidi wondered why she sounded like she cared. The streets were filled with the noise of children playing “ten ten” and the air was pregnant with the smell the roast plantains being hawked by middle aged women. As Chidi strolled the streets of Azikiwe Lane, he thought about his mother, his family but mostly of Amara. What was she doing now? Was she thinking of him? Was she at the stream? He observed the cars that drove past him on the undone roads. He wondered why Nonye’s tone changed towards him as he left the house. “She must be crazy” he thought aloud. “Bros! Bros! Oh boy no be you I dey call!” Chidi turned round whoever it was that chose to disturb his thoughts. He saw a boy about his age but slightly taller than him walking briskly towards him one hand holding his crotch as he imitated the American way of “bouncing”. Finally his caller approached him; “How can I help you?” Chidi asked. “Oyibo! abeg I just noticed that you are a new face around here. Anyway my name is Ignatius. I live just there”, his hand gestured backwards. Chidi smiled with a face that pretended like it cared. Something about Ignatius struck him as he watched his lips utter words that he probably didn’t need to. Chidi’s eyes played the role of a scanner as observed Ignatius’ clothing. The boy wore a green shirt that looked that it needed a thorough wash. He had on a pair of trousers and a pair of sandals. His hair was combed but slightly parted at the side; it also had quite an unusual texture, one that had been relaxed. “Bros! U dey hear the thing wey I dey talk abi your mind dey for Kafanchan!” Chidi’s call back to reality. “Yes my name is Chidi, no be say I no dey speak broken, I fit oh! I am from Ukigwe but I have come to Onitsha to start an apprenticeship with my uncle. So what do you do for a living?” Ignatius laughed but it was not a cheerful one; “I speak perfectly good English my brother but when you stay around here, pidgin is the order of the day!” Both boys laughed. “I work with my brother who is a mechanic but my specialty is vulcanising. I hope to save enough from the little money I am earning to go to Lagos and achieve my dream. I hear that there the streets are paved with gold. So will you be staying alone? Oh and by the way if you need anything around the area Chiboy, just ask Iggy and I will be there!” Chidi slightly amazed by his new name, Chiboy agreed and before he knew it he was telling Ignatius about his dreams in life, Amara and Amadi. Both boys as they strolled back to their various homes as the sun set realised that they had so much in common. They were both educated but could not further their aspirations as the grip of poverty was too strong to let go off. Brother Jonathan was sat in the living area with Nonye. His hand was over her shoulder as they both watched the news broadcast as Chidi walked in. “My boy! I see you have feasted your eyes at your new home. Hope you like it. I saw you with Ignatius as I was on my way home. Good boy that one always doing justice to my tyres!” Jonathan joked. Nonye’s eyes were still fixed at the television but Chidi knew that her mind was not in what Tokunbo Ajayi was broadcasting. “I was looking around the area. It is much better than the village oh. Brother I am very tired you know and the night is already here I think I just want to go and lie down.” Chidi yawned stretching. “Ah ok oh. My boy sleep well, tomorrow awaits us. Nonye, Chidi anamago oh (is going to bed)”. Nonye quickly looked at Chidi, her movements still being closely observed by Chidi. “Sleep well Chidi. Goodnight” As he rolled out his mat on the floor, Chidi thought about his day. A new life awaited him and his future was nothing but a reach away. He thought about Amara and how they used to sit at the front of the stream every night talking about their hopes and dreams. That night he dreamt of himself as a successful merchant driving a big car home to his wife. As he opened the door his “wife” approached him to embrace him. She wasn’t Amara.

1 comment: